September 23, 2011

Challah

My sister is the bread-maker in the family, for sure. But I've re-discovered the love of bread baking recently. Pizza dough, challah (a sweet egg bread), and refridgerator rolls to be specific. Sarah especially loves pigs in a blanket (hot dogs wrapped in a dough bun) packed for lunch. My former bread-making efforts were a complete Mom-FAIL. My bread would never rise! Argh. You'd think I would have caught onto the problem a little quicker: I just needed new, fresh yeast. And I needed to store it in the fridge, not my cupboard.

I've used this great recipe for my challah a few times already. I find that 40 minutes baking is way too long, because my bread is usually golden at about 25-30 minutes.  And I might need to switch to a bigger bowl to let my dough rise... ya think?  I'm just thankful that it's rising!






1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love pigs in a blanket. Would you believe I've never made anything with yeast??? I always use the Pillsbury crescent rolls. But, it would be a good excuse to haul out my Kitchen Aid mixer - I love that thing!

    ReplyDelete