Today I ran 13.1 miles in the San Diego Rock n Roll. My morning started off early, with my alarm going off at 3:45am. My girlfriends husbands generously dropped us off at the start line, and then picked us up after the race, so we didn't have to deal with any parking or shuttles. This was such a nice perk, as there were only 26, 571 other runners trying to get to the race on time.
I bumped into friends from high school and college at the Expo (where you pick up your race bib/number before the race day). This race brings people into town from all 50 states (and more than 23 countries).
Our 4 kids playing inflatable guitars at the Expo.
Yes, I realize I look like a flower. Complete with green 'stem' on the bottom (if only I could find green socks?) and flower blooms at the top.
The running trio. l to r: Me, Alisa and Stephanie.
Alisa and me: Finishers! Time: 2 hours 23 minutes. A good pace for us. It was a beautiful day for a run... clear skies, and not too hot. And we even made it to our 10:30am church service after the race.
The devoted Mr. Garland should get a medal (or eight) of his own... managing 4 kids on his own all morning and most of the afternoon while I napped. And he puts up with my regular weekend long training runs. Thanks, Honey. You're awesome.
Running is such a treat for me. I enjoy the kid-free time, chatting with girlfriends, but also it helps keep me in shape. Not that I'm in perfect shape. By no means. Why oh why does it seem like I'm forever trying to loose the same pesky 5-10 pounds? Having kids is hard on the female body. I'm just sayin. My weakness is that I like to eat. Sweets.
But, I'm blessed to be able to do it and don't ever want to take it for granted. My goal is two half marathons per year. No, I will not run another full marathon. I'm sticking to that. My next race is the Carlsbad Half Marathon in January 2012. Anyone want to join me?
But, I'm blessed to be able to do it and don't ever want to take it for granted. My goal is two half marathons per year. No, I will not run another full marathon. I'm sticking to that. My next race is the Carlsbad Half Marathon in January 2012. Anyone want to join me?
No comments:
Post a Comment