December 6, 2009

The Present Game

I recently read and was inspired by this article in Family Fun magazine about gift giving and being grateful for presents, and put it to the test. We played the "Present Game" this morning with our kids and after a few rough first rounds, it was a hit!

Basically, we assigned a gift bag for each kid, and we swapped bags so that others could go "shopping" for one gift (some random item/toy in our home) for their sibling. The gift was just for fun, and not for keeps. When the child received the gift, they had to say "Thank you for the (gift). I like it because... (one sincere complement for the gift)."

With Christmas quickly approaching, we thought this was a great activity to help us practice gratitude!

The kids with their bags.

Thank you for the Thomas the train. I like it because it's blue and I will have fun playing with it.

Very basic, but gets the point across :)

P.S. Betcha didn't know that the Garlands can dance!


No comments:

Post a Comment