May 12, 2009

Running Thoughts: 20 Miles


Last weekend was the biggie:  20 miles!  This was our longest training run... the next biggie will be the biggest: marathon day, San Diego Rock n Roll, May 31, 2009 for 26.2 miles.  Hard to believe we're only 3 weeks away.  We've done 20 now, 26.2... no problem!

We started at Moonlight Beach and headed north along the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) from Encinitas to Oceanside.  Alisa and I plugged along with our TEAM in Training group the full 20 and felt great.  Everyone did so well.  This run really took a toll on our bodies:  legs, toes... when we were done we cautiously took off our shoes and socks to see if we had any surprises (ie wounded toenails, sores, etc.)  Ahhhhh the joys of running long distances.  I faired pretty well, and we enjoyed a cool dip in the ocean for our weary legs.  

We expected warmer temperatures (70s) and it was much cooler and overcast which was wonderful.  I'm a little nervous for the actual marathon day because I think it will be much warmer/sunnier and we have been so spoiled with nice cool overcast running days during most of our training.  

I wore my new fuel belt for the first time and really liked it.  I went with a two-bottle Nathan pack from REI.  It carried my gus and salt packets just fine.  Very slick. 

And a great part about the run was that the night before, Jeff treated me to a night out with my TEAM at the Old Spaghetti Factory.  I enjoyed the manager's special of mizithra cheese and clam sauce, along with my salad, bread and spumoni ice cream, of course.  I love eating while I'm training... sky's the limit!  I'm really going to need to watch it after the race is done, though...  Ugh.


Robynn, Wendi, Jen, and Skye (l to r) as we enjoy a heavy carb dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory the night before our big 20 mile run.

No comments:

Post a Comment