April 8, 2009

The Backyard

This is not our backyard.  I wish this was our backyard.  It's my parent's backyard and it's amazing, so I thought I'd snap a few photos for you and share in the Spring time splendor.  My folks have put so much work into their 1-acre lot and it's such a wonderful place that has so many memories for me.  My mom has the most amazing green thumb.  I can only hope to become the gardener she is someday (but don't hold your breath - I kill houseplants on a regular basis).  

If you ask me, Californians "over manicure" their yards too much.  My mom thinks it's because landscaping firms need year round work and income so they talk their customers into trimming too much too often.  My mom's garden is wonderful, natural, useful, and oh.so.much.fun.  She fills it with amazing fragrances, birdhouses, sitting areas, a kids play house, plenty of fruit and avocado trees, and the random giraffe head poking out of the bushes.

Grandad helps pick the last few avocados off the tree.

Can you say "guacamole?"


I did not enhance any of these photos with green.  The fresh spring green just pops off the screen.
And of course, the friendly giraffe.  We really should give her a name.  My dad just has something for giraffes.

Lovely lilacs.

Birdhouses scattered everywhere (Mom's a collector).
If you look closely, the small stones are etched with grandkids' names.  
The whiffle ball on the right is not etched, in case you were wondering.

Z and Mom enjoying tea under the blooming dogwood.








1 comment:

  1. Their garden is absolutely beautiful! I can tell it's taken many years of love, work and artistry to create that space--I wish I could go sit there and soak it in, but I guess I'll just have to look at the pictures and sigh!... Please tell your mom it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete