March 8, 2009

Running Thoughts: 10 Miles

We had our 10 mile run this weekend, the longest distance I've ever run in my entire life.  And it went well.  I'll be honest, I was nervous for this one.  We're supposed to not exercise at ALL on Fridays and I've been breaking this rule so far.  I just love to work out on Fridays and it works well with my kids' schedule.  I'm going to be a good girl starting this week.  

Running Buddies

Oh yes, and there were hills.  The up-hill kind.

My goal was to run with other people.  With TEAM in Training, one of the rules (for safety reasons) is no headphones.  I thought this was going to be tough at first, but now it's no problem.  The catch is that I want (and need) to be running (and chatting) with someone.  We run at a "conversational" pace meaning in theory, you should be able to have a conversation with someone as you run.  If you can't, you're running too fast.  Plus, when I'm running and chatting, the miles just fly by.  

So, thankfully, there was Alisa.  We ran together the majority of the way, and had a most wonderful conversation.  Between the aid stations, we did a run/walk interval of 5/1 and 10/1 most of the way.  There was a killer hill the last mile of the run, but we conquered it no sweat (well, maybe a little sweat).  I think we did so well because we paced ourselves really well.  I've met so many other neat gals:  Gabbi, Lisa, Jen, Libby, Rosie, Robynn, Donna, Tarcy, Patti, and Nancy, just to name a few.  Oh, and Chris (who isn't a gal).  Amazing people.  I need to snap some photos, but don't wish to carry a camera on our runs.  Hmmmmm.

Ouch, My Toe!

I felt pretty good after the run, the usual soreness and fatigue, but today (the day after the run), I have a sore middle toe.  Crazy, eh?  I knew I needed new running shoes, but the sore toe pushed me over the edge.  I had gone in a week ago and the Running Center Shoe Store to special order a pair of 11-and-a-half sized shoes.  Yikes, that's the biggest shoe I've ever worn.  Normally I'm a size 11 narrow.  Apparently, the more room in the toes the better, when it comes to marathon running shoes.

So, I've got an infected middle toe, and it's all swollen now, but I'm hoping my new shoes (and plenty of toe space) will help alleviate the pain and future problems.  Makes me appreciate and have empathy for those running with injuries.  No fun.  

Next Week

We'll tackle 12 miles next week.  Wow, the miles just keep climbing.  God give me the strength to persevere.  I could not do this without God, and the support of my family and friends!  

No comments:

Post a Comment