This post is mostly so our friends and family can pray.
I busted my back. Back in July, I tweaked my back, it was sore for a few days, and then I felt better. Tweaked it again in August… sore for a couple days, then back to mostly normal.
August 15… moving wet laundry from the washer to the dryer… tweak #3…
Tweak #3 hasn’t gone away yet… and it’s October. 2 months of pain in my lower back, walking with a cane when it’s really bad. It’s hard to bend over, and sitting (in a car) is the worst. Getting dressed in the morning is an adventure. This has been a hard season in life.
We went to Lake Tahoe September 19-24 to be with family and cheer on my brother at his Ironman. I’m afraid that volunteering at the Ironman was the final straw, as I had to bend over to assist female athletes with their shoes, socks, etc. in the changing tent. But it was a once in a lifetime event, and I’m so glad we got to go and be there for that wonderful experience. But now I’m paying for all that fun.
Behold, my MRI photo showing a lovely bulged disc at L4/L5:
I loved my friend Jenni’s Facebook comment “I guess you weren’t faking it.” So true – I felt vindicated when I saw this MRI for the first time! That small little bulge pressing on my nerves (the white area) has caused me a lot of pain and tears over the last 2 months, and it’s not going away any time soon.
I’ve been to numerous chiropractors, physical therapists, massage therapists and physicians. I’ve taken steroids, done exercises/stretches, had adjustments and partial epidural injections to try to manage the pain.
Needless to say, the last few months have been tough… lots of couch-schooling (science lessons on the bed):
The devoted Mr. Garland has truly stepped up. He takes the kids on bike rides and fun outings while I stay at home, with my legs elevated, laying on a heating pad.
For the record, I’d much rather be out having fun with my family.
Jeff at Harbor Days (Oceanside Harbor) with the kids:
My parents are rock stars. Always have been. Here, my dad is likely reminding our kids that it’s not “milk”… it’s “cow juice.”
Operation Garland Homestead :: Mom is managing the kitchen/meal food prep/laundry detail, and my dad is in charge of the running club / karate practice / field trips detail. So thankful for them. They have dropped out of their “other” life at home to help us for nearly 3 weeks now(!).
Mom and Dad took the kids to the science museum:
We are blessed with wonderful friends too!
I am one blessed momma to have such a wonderful support team. But I’m tired of this, and I want to get back in the game.
So, we’ve got some big decisions ahead, and I’m prayerfully considering my options. I’m asking a lot of questions, and getting a lot of answers and opinions. Of course I’d prefer to avoid surgery, but I also don’t want to miss out on life for too long. My physician says that the average healing time for people with my condition is 4.2 months. So I’m banking on that. I’m in this for the long haul… half way there… hoping to be pain free again by Christmas! What a gift that would be, right? Who wants to go for a run with me in January 2014? Our God is good and His timing is perfect. I’ll trust Him!
Nothing is impossible with God! -Luke 1:37
Specific prayer requests/praises:
- So grateful for family and friends and their encouragement!
- That I would give thanks in all circumstances.
- That my second epidural (guided steroid) injection next week would be effective.
- That I wouldn’t yell at my kids too much (just keepin’ in real).
- That I would be healed by Christmas, and maybe even sooner!
Thank you for praying! love, Wendi
Wendi,
ReplyDeleteStarted praying as soon as I read this. For healing. For wisdom. For peace. As an encouragement, I had a knee problem several years back. I had a few small instances that may have been the cause, but as far as I'm concerned, no one ever figured out exactly what was going on (even after two MRI's - first one was lost by first Doc I saw). Anyways, the first Surgeon I saw said the chances of my needing surgery would be in the upper 90%. I told him I'm a firm believer in physical therapy and wanted to try that first. PT definitely helped me improve some, but not enough to where I was "back to normal." I ended up seeing two more surgeons and went to two more PT offices over the next year. Not because I was even seeking second opinions, but because I had moved cities/changed insurance. Personally, I was disappointed when the second surgeon I saw said surgery was not even an option (as it wasn't needed) because to me that meant I would be dealing with this pain/problem for the rest of my life and that there was no fix. I'm happy to report that today I very very rarely have any trouble with my knee. From time to time, I will tweak it, but the pain doesn't last long. My situation was unique in that I didn't have insurance at the time of my injury, so before seeking medical attention, I just refused to bend my knee, thinking I was helping it heal by holding it as if it were in a cast. That led to me losing a lot of my range of motion, so it was a dumb move on my part, but I'm so glad I was able to get my movement back through physical therapy and regular use of my knee.