August 25, 2011

Unextreme Makeover

I am no interior decorator.

But it was time to paint our house.  Which meant someone needed to pick a color.

And lose lots of sleep over it.

And paint lots of samples on the walls.

We hired a painter to come in while we were at family camp for a week, because there's no way we could have done this while we were living in our house.  I shudder at the thought.  Sometimes I felt guilty thinking, well, *I* can paint our house and save lots of money... and then reality sets in.  I cannot do it all.  Sigh.

 Here's a couple of 'before' photos... our home was mostly an off-white color.  All the walls were flat, with plenty of pencil and crayon markings courtesy of our sweet 1-year old.


Colors:  These were some of the many samples we picked up as testers.  Boy is it hard to pick a paint for your whole house based on a 1'x1' sample area.  While we were away at camp, I kept having bad dreams that when we returned home, I'd look around and say oh no, the color is wrong/too dark/awful!  

But the opposite was true... we looooooved it!~  (We selected Behr Gobi Desert at 75% color, in eggshell finish for washability, if you're interested.)

Now our home has more warmth on the walls.  We went with white ceilings and Behr Swiss Coffee trim (I love how our white baseboards pop now).   I also took this large mirror that used to be more of a gold/brassy color (see photo above), and repainted the frame a darker ORB (oil rubbed bronze) color.  I love how it turned out.

A nice clean coat of paint feels so nice.  A clean slate.

 Our kitchen.


So there's my little Garland home makeover edition.  I'm no Martha Stewart, that's for sure.  But it was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment