Igneous, metamorphic, sedimentary.
We've been studying rocks this unit so we headed out on a rock hunt.
We've been studying rocks this unit so we headed out on a rock hunt.
We found a ton of sandstone. In my former life (pre-kids), I used to be a geotechnical engineer. I stood at the back end of a drill rig and classified soils as they brought them up from deep in the earth. Sadly I don't remember a whole lot, but I can definitely still tell what a sandstone is.
Keepin' it real, folks. Sarah snapped this photo...I'm texting the devoted Mr. Garland.
Here's my actual text:
Me: "Hiking with kids at lake. Studying rocks."
Devoted Mr. Garland: "Gneiss." *
The devoted Mr. Garland knows his igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary rocks.
Our navigator and his young assistant.
* Gneiss (pronounced /ˈnaɪs/ "nice") is a common and widely distributed type of rock formed by high-grade regional metamorphic processes from pre-existing formations that were originally either igneous or sedimentary rocks.
* Gneiss (pronounced /ˈnaɪs/ "nice") is a common and widely distributed type of rock formed by high-grade regional metamorphic processes from pre-existing formations that were originally either igneous or sedimentary rocks.



No comments:
Post a Comment