January 18, 2010

36 Weeks

Only 4 weeks to go. Maybe (and hopefully) less. This heartburn stuff is killin' me!

Here's TMI (too much information) about my previous deliveries, as well as thoughts on how our upcoming delivery will hopefully procure. We've always used numerical code names for our our babies in the hopper. People often use such sweet names like peanut, cutie, thumper, etc. Nope, not us. We're both engineers. We assign numbers, except for our first child. We didn't call her G1 because that was simply too presumptuous.

Kid: gender, number of days delivered before due date, hours of labor, weight, length, time delivered

Baby G: female, 1 day, 24 hours, 8lb 9oz, 21", 7:40am
G2: male, 7 days, 9 hours, 8lb 13oz, 22", 5am
G3: male, 2 days, 7 hours, 9lbs, 22", 4:50am
G4: female, tbd

Yes, I had a detailed birthing plan with Baby G but have since learned that number one priority with any delivery should be to simply "Be flexible." I had hoped to go without medication on my deliveries, but alas, I've had 3 epidurals so far and am planning on it (more like "looking forward to it") now for G4. Epidurals are great, except we'll make sure the devoted Mr. Garland is not in the room when I get it. He doesn't like watching big needles being inserted into his wife's back. After the epidural is in effect, oh the wonderful peace and relief for both of us. I've been blessed to have had 3 relatively uneventful deliveries.

One change I'd love to make for G4 (you know, as if I was in control of any of this) would be to deliver her right at bedtime, say sometime between 8-10pm. That way I can labor during daylight hours and we'd have a night to recover and regroup before the next day. Having early morning deliveries with my existing 3 was tough, because the devoted Mr. Garland and I were basically awake the entire night, walking the halls and, well, you know, having contractions. We were exhausted by the morning hours after all the delivery excitement was over. Everyone else (aka family) would wake up refreshed, ready to come and meet their new relative.

The hospital where we will deliver (as well as most hospitals I'd imagine) has basically said no to visitors because of the H1N1 virus. This may apply only to visitors 12 years old and under, and things may change between now and our delivery, but I think the whole thing is a major bummer. We'd love for our 3 children to come meet their new sibling in the hospital, but sadly that might not happen. Argh.

So that's the scoop from here, for now. For Baby G, G2, G3, G4, and the devoted Mr. Garland, this is MamaG signing out.



No comments:

Post a Comment