May 17, 2009

Running Thoughts: Final Prep

If you're not a runner, you just might find this post to be insanely boring because I say things like "here are my amazing running shoes."  Just scroll on down quickly, I won't take it personally.

After the 11 mile run, coaches gave us our final marathon prep talk where we discussed how early we'll really need to be there (5am! wake up at 3:30am!), what to bring, how to eat, how to sleep (you'd think this wouldn't be a problem, but the nerves and excitement kick in the night before and it's tough to sleep well), and basically to not change a thing from how we've run our training runs.  Do everything the same.  No changes.  Period. 

I wanted to document some of my running routines -  my marathon checklist if you will.

Night before
  • set 3 alarm clocks for 3am (As if I'll need even one.  I'll probably not sleep well at all.)
  • lay out clothes for run plus warm layer for before and after.  I get very cold after I run, so additional warmth is very important
  • crinkle up bib number so that it's not so rigid, affix to shirt with safety pins
  • I haven't decided yet if I want to wear a pace band.  I want to be a happy finisher.  If it's less than or greater than 5 hours, it's more important that I'm just happy.  
Morning of
  • no friction:  I put Neosporin on every toenail and on the bottoms of my feet.  Also under my bra in areas where I'm prone to chaffing.  Sunblock and chap stick are required.
  • fuel belt:  It's got 2 bottles (vs. the 4-bottle versions) and has a perfect little pouch for my car key, cell phone, scripture, salt packets, Gus, electrolyte capsules, etc.  Love it.  Even wore it today while Jeff and I were gardening.  Water right there on your hip.  Who doesn't love that?
  • breakfast:  eat 1 slice multi-grain bread with butter and peanut butter and honey (mmmmm), some fruit (typically a banana or pear), and a glass of milk.
  • Get there early.  The devoted Mr. Garland has graciously offered to drop me off... so we've filled up the minivan with nearly 6 of us marathoner types.  Jeff gets to take an extra long nap in the afternoon.  We'll most likely leave our home at 4am to start the marathon at 6:30am.  It's gonna be crazy with people everywhere.  
The Run
  • I don't know that I've hit "the wall" yet.  Yes, I've had my moments when I'm insanely achy and can only complain and I want to walk.  I'm not pretty.  Maybe that's the wall.  I figure I'll find out for sure in 2 weeks.
  • I'm so excited for the marathon because there will be 26 bands... one band every mile.  Talk about eye and ear candy.  
  • Alisa and I will for sure be running together (maybe Chris too).  I hope we don't get separated in the crowds - we're running with our cell phones just in case.
The gear...

These size 11.5 beauties have seen me through many miles already.  (Boy were they dirt-y from our trail run!)

I wish I had bought my fuel belt earlier in the season (I just got it 2 weeks ago).  

My bible verse. 

Look for me in this purple shirt... just painted my name on it today.  

The lay-out.  I lay out everything from my hat and hairband to my underwear and socks.

My favorite Gu flavor: strawberry banana.  

Marathon countdown:  14 days.
Watch out, here it comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment