April 28, 2009

Running Thoughts: 18 Miles

We had the ever popular "train run" last weekend.  Our group got on the Amtrak Surfliner in Solana Beach and headed north one stop to Oceanside.  I think I was one of maybe 20 people who didn't ride the train.  Yeah, I know it was probably very fun, but who could pass up getting a ride from my ever lovin' family?!?!  I drove straight to Oceanside (got to sleep in a little later than the rest of the crew) and we started our run at around 8am and finished at 11:45am in Solana Beach.  It was a great run... a long one.  Alisa was once again my running buddy and we are unstoppable.  Yes, we whine a little, usually towards the end of the run.  Can you blame us??? 18 stinkin' miles!

I whined a lot as we had to run past our finish line an extra mile just so we could get miles 17 and 18 in.  Ugh.  That was hard.  5 Aid stations gave lots of snacks:  1 gu, 1 powerbar, salt packets, licorice whips, cheese-its, water and Cytomax (it's the "Gatorade" that they'll be handing out at the Rock-n-Roll marathon).  Everyone's getting so serious... don't make any more huge changes and make sure you're comfortable in your shoes, what you eat, what you drink, etc.

But in the end, Alisa and I finished strong with our 5/1 run/walk intervals.  Those 1 minute walks never seem long enough.  It took us 3 hours 45 minutes total which equals 12.5 minute miles, which included aid stops.  I was sore for 2 days, but feel much better today.  

Jeff and the kids were there to greet us at the end and played on the playground at Fletcher's Cove as Alisa and I soaked our legs in the cool ocean.  That's the best.

Only 2 runs left:  11 miles next week then 20 miles on May 9.  Hoooooooo boy.  Can't believe this is actually going to happen.  

I'm going to miss our training runs and track workouts after it's all over.  I'm considering running a 1/2 marathon in August.  

I hear a half is way easier than a full marathon.  

Only crazy people run full marathons.


Alisa and I after our 18 mile run... success!

Ocean waves = relief for sore running legs.


Jeff and the kids met us after our run for lunch...

and play at this beautiful park.

No comments:

Post a Comment