Once again I ran with my good friend Alisa. She's such a sweet gal and I enjoy our runs and conversation so much. It's like having an extended coffee hour with a good friend but instead of sipping latte we're running our booties off.
We ran 3 hours and 20 minutes from start to finsh, including 6 aid stops. That's about 12.5 minute miles which is pretty good. I take a gu (these funky liquid gel runners snacks) and down a couple of salt packets once every 4 miles. I'm not a huge fan of the chocolate gu but the vanilla, green apple and fruity flavors sure are tasty. We're continuing our 5/1 (run 5/ walk 1) intervals which have helped me to start and end strong.
Oh, and can you say S.O.R.E?!?! Usually after our long run, I get to soak my legs in the crisp ocean then I hop in the car (well I'm not really hopping at this point) and drive home. When I get home, the devoted Mr. Garland is always there to greet me, help me stand up out of the car (this is the toughest part) and say hi before I flop my exhausted body onto anything horizontal.
Instead, this week we had our church's Easter party so I had to drive straight to church to meet the fam. Wow. Note to self. Don't ever schedule anything after a long run again. Ever. I sat down to rest for "just a second" at the party and literally couldn't stand up again. It's only Easter once a year though, so it was worth it.
I'm super blessed. I have such a great husband watching our kids while I train. For the most part I've been injury free. Well except for now (crazy strep throat). I have several friends on TEAM who have injuries and are fighting against constant pain (knee, ankle, thigh, hamstring, etc.) on our runs. This pain/fatigue that we're experiencing is NOTHING compared to what cancer patients have to endure.
The marathon will be here before we know it! (Yikes!) Thanks for reading my rambling about my once-in-a-lifetime experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment