March 28, 2009

Running Thoughts: 14 Miles

Today was a biggie.  I've never run 14 miles before, ever never in my life.  It went really well, if you take out the part where I biffed it in the middle of a busy intersection (uneven asphalt), scraped and bruised both knees and did a little roll to boot.  I can be clumsy at times, so if this is my one and only fall this season, I'll be glad.  I think I was just tired and sloppy (I fell at about mile 10-11).  

I stuck with Alisa, Chris and Libby for most of the run and we did 5/1 (5 minutes run/1 minute walk) intervals the whole time, and once again started and ended strong.  The entire run took about 3 hours.

The best part was the final downhill stretch with an amazing view of the ocean near Torrey Pines, then plunging into the salty cold ocean waves for some cool relief and massage.  Ahhhhhhh.  

I didn't write about our 9-mile run last week.  It was a backdown week so our run was "only" 9 miles, but boy "only 9" sure felt like "only 15."  I think it was just a rough week.  I was trying out 8/1 intervals for the 9 miles and those didn't work so well for me.  I need to stick to my 5/1s.  I didn't want to bum y'all out, so we'll just move on.  

I'm off to nurse my wounded knees :(

No comments:

Post a Comment