
Tomorrow we celebrate Thanksgiving. I love love love Thanksgiving because it focuses on the 3 F's: family, friends and food. No gifts to wrap (yet), no fireworks. Just lazy time with the family.
It's always so hard to think of a meaningful "what I'm thankful for" list on the spot when the food's all hot, the turkey's carved, you're starved, and family members *really* don't want you to take too much time thinking... just get it over with right? So... this last week I've been asking the kids (and myself) what we're thankful for, and we've been writing it down on a piece of paper on the fridge.
I really do try to raise thoughtful children who cherish God, family and friends foremost. S's "I'm thankful for..." items include mostly stuffed animals (and their leashes). J is thankful for his skateboard. If Z could talk, he would probably say he is thankful for Whole Vitamin D Milk. Deep, eh? Mommy or Daddy didn't even make the list.
Psalm 100 (The Message):
1-2 On your feet now—applaud God! Bring a gift of laughter,
sing yourselves into his presence.
3 Know this: God is God, and God, God.
He made us; we didn't make him.
We're his people, his well-tended sheep.
4 Enter with the password: "Thank you!"
Make yourselves at home, talking praise.
Thank him. Worship him.
5 For God is sheer beauty,
all-generous in love,
loyal always and ever.
Here's my list... I'm thankful for:
- haircuts
- snuggling with my husband and our kids
- books
- hot showers after I run
- sailing with my husband
- the opportunity to raise 3 kids
- our wonderful family
- dear friends
- digital cameras that capture precious moments
- our backyard swingset
- open-mouthed kisses from Z
- the blue cast that is healing J's broken arm
- eating ice cream with my daughter
- dinnertimes
- church
- a God who pours down blessings on us all.
We gather together to ask the Lord's blessing;
He chastens and hastens His will to make known;
The wicked oppressing now cease from distressing,
Sing praises to His name: He forgets not his own.
Beside us to guide us, our God with us joining,
Ordaining, maintaining His kingdom divine
So from the beginning the fight we were winning;
Thou, Lord, wast at our side, All glory be thine!
We all do extol thee, thou leader triumphant,
And pray that thou still our defender wilt be.
Let thy congregation escape tribulation;
Thy name be ever praised! O Lord, make us free!
Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:
Post a Comment