October 8, 2008

Financial Crunch

Our economy is in a very tough spot right now. Our home value is down about 20% from when we bought a year ago (this is typical for southern California). Our retirement accounts and Roth IRAs are down over 30%. Ouch.

My girlfriend asked me recently if our family was doing anything different in these rough times. My answer: yes and no.

We're eating healthy foods at home, but we're no longer going out to eat. At all. I balance the books in our home and I watch every dime. I'm not afraid to return an item to a store if I have second thoughts about purchasing it in the first place. We don't do the all-cash budget yet but I'm tempted. I don't go to the grocery store unless I absolutely need something essential (like milk, bread, etc.).

My 5 thoughts...
  1. Tithe. Even in tough times, tithe.
  2. Hold steady... don't panic and sell.
  3. Keep your job... this is key.
  4. Pray like mad for your city, state, country and the world.
  5. God is our strength! Put your trust in Him.

2 comments:

  1. Do you send Jeff with a lunch everyday? I can't even imagine!!! I need to get better about that though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the Fetching Mrs. Garland provides tasty leftovers for lunch every day and has been for years.

    ReplyDelete