We had some internet trouble this weekend and I haven't been on the internet in 4 days. Wow. It wasn't bad the first two days, but then when Monday kicked in and I realized that my calendar was now online, I was hurting. I had to call the devoted Mr. Garland at work and ask him what was on my schedule for Tuesday. I was thankful that my contact information was stored locally. I've been tempted to go all "online" but this experience has helped me learn the value of some locally stored info.
Anyway, after a visit from our ISP today, they said our cable connection was strong, but that our cable modem was bad. A year ago, they told me this same thing, that we had a bad cable modem, but after some finagling (aka hacking, futzing, etc.) I got our modem to work again. Ta da! But this year I couldn't work my magic, so we went out tonight and bought a new modem at Frys. Plugged it in and.... ahhhh it's like the oxygen was turned on again. I gladly had 97 new emails to sort through tonight.
We survived, and I even got some extra napping and reading in. We don't have any broadcast/cable tv, so internet is our main form of entertainment, but life shouldn't have to come to a halt if/when we get disconnected like this. In fact, my girlfriend Trisha recently put a timer on their router that clicks off at a certain time each night (I think it was 10pm?). What a slick idea. It's all about balance and priorities.
No comments:
Post a Comment