September 14, 2008

Marathon Musings

I'm thinking about running a marathon.

May 30, 2009 San Diego Rock-n-Roll Marathon.

42.195 kilometers. 26 miles and 385 yards.

I'm thinking I'm crazy. I'm not a runner. I'm tall, lanky and slow. I have 3 young children.

But I think it'd be fun to say that I've run one. Notice it will be fun only after it's all done with. If I run I can eat more of the foods I enjoy (read ice cream) which is fabulous. I run a 5k at the gym about 3 days a week, but a treadmill run is nothing compared to the endurance and strength needed for a full blown marathon.

If I do this, I'm going to need to train a lot, and have accountability. In this light, I joined a runners group this morning at 7am for a run in San Elijo. Seems like a great group - there were about a dozen of us. Spencer, my running friend, has a slick GPS watch that tracked our pace and mileage - he tells me it was 6.8 miles. And there were hills. The up-hill kind.

I'm sore.

Maybe I should just run a half marathon. I think I might be able to live with that.

Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment